Wednesday, September 8, 2010

9/08 Observations on Grieving

The state Fair and it's attendant chaos helped to keep me off my game and probably reduced the amount of sobbing over the weekend. Now that it's over and life goes back to routine around here, I am quickly and continually reminded of the hole that has been introduced into our lives.
I don't believe that I have ever lost anything I loved as much as my dear Ruby. Relatives are close, but I did not interact with them 24/7 for seven years. Nor did they wake me every morning by jumping on my chest and sneezing in my face. This is not recommended with larger breed dogs. I have saved her harness and leash along with a few select toys and her car bed. They went into the attic and will await their next owner. I think that maybe next summer we may be ready to transfer a portion of our love for her to a new pug.
The flowers, cards, phone calls and e-mails have been such a great reminder of how deeply she touched the lives of everyone she met. We are thinking about doing some sort of fund raising event in October. It will probably involve wine and homemade eggrolls along with other tasty treats. We want to help out a pug rescue organization in the area in Ruby's memory.
I think that this will end my posting here for quite a while. I want to end with a thought someone gave me the other day. "Don't cry because she is gone. Smile because she was here." I am going to cling tightly to that for a long, long time. Hug your babies tight for us here and peace to you.
Bartley

No comments:

Post a Comment