Thursday, September 2, 2010

9/02 Vinchristine = Blech!

Last Tuesday they gave Ruby another injection of Vincristine Sulfate. They lowered the dose in hopes that she would not react as badly this time. Maybe a little better, but not much. This time she kept her appetite until late Wednesday night. Early Thursday morning she woke me up and I could tell she wasn't doing well. She was breathing fast and hard. She also had tremors. I don't think she ever vomited this time, but she bowels were uncontrollable, watery and absolutely foul smelling. Unlike the last dose, this time she became very weak and lethargic. She spent most of the day laying in her bed and soiling herself. My wife caught her at her water bowl whimpering because she was thirsty but too nauseous to drink. We have cried a lot again today. I called and made an appointment with the U and took her in at 2:30pm. More subcutaneous fluids and anti-nausea meds. I brought her home and bathed her and then took her to pug social at it's temporary location in Nordeast Mpls. Usually this  gathering is in our home as it has been every Thursday for the last 6 years. I brought her bed with us and she laid there and held court with all the fine friends who love her so much.
I looked back at her chemo protocol and this Vincristine is every other week for the duration of treatment. I sure hope they can get a handle on the dosage. I understand that the drugs should make her a little sick, but not this much. It's too hard to watch.
One more note. A big thank you to the great vet students at the U of M who chatted with me while I was trying not to melt down for the umpteenth time today. You are all going to be wonderful vets.

1 comment:

  1. oh uncle bart this breaks our hearts! so sorry to hear she is having some bad days like this.. can only imagine how hard it is for you all.. we are thinking of you, always and praying and hoping for some form of peace and MUCH less sickness with these treatments.. just remember sweetie, it WILL be worth it, PROMISE.. mom had over 9 tough months with Ace and all his issues, and it was worth it now to see him enjoying his precious life so.. he says it was ALL well worth it too!
    Loves to you ALL, keep your mugs up and hang in there! Boo Bear, Momma Meesh and Ace of Hearts

    ReplyDelete